As Chennai Express is set for release on 9th August, Indian box office is buzz with all the existing box office records. Everyone from film analysts to moviegoers are discussing which record will remain intact and which will be finally broken by CE. CE is getting the biggest ever release with 3500-3600+ screens in India and 700+ screens in Overseas. Also, Ticket price is hiked by 10-15% on average. With such potential it might have a shot at each box office record, but whether it can break anyone of those, that is another question. Let's discuss what are the present box office records and what are the chances CE have of breaking those.
Here are the records that are chased by Chennai Express and what are the chances of breaking it.
1. Opening Day - Ek Tha Tiger - 32.9 crore nett. Yes, there is a slim chance of breaking the record. CE will get around 300 more screens atleast and 10-15% ticket hike from ETT. So, there is a chance.
2. Opening Weekend - Dabangg 2 - 64.9 crore nett. Realistically there is every chance of breaking this record by CE. New records are set are to be set this EID. Reason, 9th August is EID Holiday, 10th August is Basi EID which falls on Saturday and lastly 11th August is Sunday. So, all three days are big.
3. Opening Week - Ek Tha Tiger - 135.19 crore nett. This is tough as ETT had a humongous and consistent first 7 days. For that to achieve by CE, needs a good content.
4. Lifetime Nett Collections (Biggest Grosser of all time) - 3 Idiots - 202.5 crore nett. This is the most coveted record of all as it is set long back in 2009-2010 times. This record is most tough of all the records to be broken. For this content of the film has to be excellent. Moreover CE had to fight it out with OUATIM Dobara from day 7 at Theaters.
5. Lifetime Distributor Share - Ek Tha Tiger - 111 crore. This is also tough as CE needs to cross 200 crore nett and reason is same as above mentioned in No.4 point.
6. Biggest Grosser of 2013 - Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani - 185.5 crore nett. Again looks tough and needs good trending at box office for some time.
7. Top Overseas Grosser - 3 Idiots - Around $24.25 Million. Looks tough at the moment, although CE is getting the biggest ever release of 700+ screens in Overseas.
8. Top Worldwide Grosser - 3 Idiots - 385 crore gross. Seems a distant dream only right now.
There is every chance of breaking Opening Day and Opening Weekend record by Chennai Express and those are realistic ones. But for rest all looks like highly improbable right now, but definitely not impossible. What you guys think of the records which might be broken by Chennai Express in coming days. Tell us your thought.