The first half of the year 2013 is gone. Many films are released in between but few of them left its mark at the box office in a good way or bad way. We will talk about the Top Surprises of the Year till now that is January to June 2013. There are few films which done more than expected business at the box office. Whereas are few which failed miserably at the box office.
1. Aashiqui 2 - Aashiqui 2 is definitely the biggest surprise of the year without a doubt. Film starring literally no face value did fantabulous business at box office collecting nearly 80 crore nett. Many would have at most bet on 30-40 crore at maximum. Even that figure would have been talked with respect as film is made with a limited budget of 12-14 crore. Both Aditya Roy Kapur and Shraddha Kapoor left their mark with the film and their next releases in coming days will be seen with expectation.
2. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani - YJHD would have been easily the biggest surprise of the year if Aashiqui 2 has not released in same year. No doubt YJHD is a big first half release of the year. Both Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone are running high with their career. But the trade was expecting a box office business of 100-120 crore. At most 130 crore. But film surprised all to collected around 186-187* crore in its lifetime. Thus, it attained the top grosser of the year and become the 3rd biggest grosser of all time. With YJHD, Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone attained the superstar tag and are in top league that was missing till now. Again YJHD also multiplied followings for Aditya Roy Kapur of Aashiqui 2 fame.
3. Raanjhanaa - Raanjhanaa comes at No.3 in our list. Film has collected around 58* crore till now and trending pretty well. Film is heading for a lifetime business of 65 crore nett or even more. Raanjhanaa is currently looking to become 4th biggest grosser of the year and have an outside chance to be the 3rd biggest. Film starred Dhanush of 'Kolaveri Di' fame and Sonam Kapoor. Dhanush made his debut in Bollywood with this film and won rave reviews from critics and thumbs up from audiences. Whereas Sonam Kapoor is now taken seriously post Raanjhanaa.
1. Himmatwala - Himmatwala definitely tops the list of Biggest disappointment of the year and by a mile. A sure shot 100 crore film fizzled at box office and even failed to touch a 50. Film starred Ajay Devgn who had a fantastic year in 2012 and Super Hit director Sajid Khan who tasted big success in past. Film colossal disappointment at box office and bashing from critics make it the lowest point of Bollywood in 2013.
2. Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 - YPD 2 was expected to take good start at box office considering its first film did fantastic business and attained Super Hit status. Film starred Deols in lead role. Film although did decent business in first week, but registered historic fall in the 2nd and 3rd week. Film is expected to do business of 36 crore nett in its lifetime which is much below than pre-release expectation.
3. Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola - MKBKM was not expected to make box office on fire. But was a certain 60-65 crore film considering the face value of the film. Film starred Imran Khan, Anushka Sharma and Pankaj Kapoor. Film was directed by talented Vishal Bharadwaj. Film collected around 40 crore nett in its lifetime. Film registered one of the biggest drop in 2nd week onwards.
These are our top surprises of the year in the first half. If you have another then do let us know in the comment section.